Nutters - Our Building's History
The History of Wolstenholme Hall
Wolstenholme Hall was built by George Goodwin Of Staffordshire, as a private gothic-style manor house in 1850, built of Staffordshire brick and set in six and a half acres of woodland.
After changing hands several times, the building was purchased by local Councillor Harold Shawcross, and used as a military hospital to house injured soldiers during the first World War.
In May 1920 Councillor Shawcross loaned the building to Rochdale Town Council as a temporary TB sanctuary with 25 beds for male patients.
Later on he offered to sell the hall to the council for £2,500, stipulating that he would then hand back the money to the council as the base of a fund to provide care for TB patients at Wolstenholme. The Council declined at first, but in 1927 they bought the hall and grounds for the sum of £2,000. Mr Shawcross, true to his word handed the money back to the council for the fund. Wolstenholme was closed as a hospital in 1977.
(Wolstenholme Hospital circa 1970 - Click to enlarge)
After closing as a hospital the building was bought by a private owner and became “The Manor Night Club”. The club was successful for a number of years, but it wasn’t long before falling on harder times, soon aferwards going into receivership.
After unsuccessful attempts to find new owners it was left in ruins and became derelict.
After four abandoned years, the building was bought by Whitbread who spent £ 1.5m restoring the building and adding extensions. The Manor - as it was known - became one of the most successful steak houses in Britain. Whitbread rebranded the building in the mid 90’s as Brewster’s but due to falling trade and Whitbread’s desire to be nearer the motorway the building was put up for sale at the start of 2003.
2003 - present
Bought by Rodney Nutter in January 2003, Wolstenhome Hall is now the proud home of Nutter's Restaurant and “The Art Of Seriously Good Cooking”.